Main character, 43. Was the best cop in the NYPD Strike Force. He was forced into the CIA's project download after
a training mission he conducted went awry. Project Download installed a psychocybernetic biochip in his brain
which the CIA used to download his police skills, so they could more quickly train new officers.
Later, Steele meets with Ice to discuss plans to capture and get revenge on Victor Borodini.
During the clandestine meeting, Borodini's goons immolate Steele's partner Mick and shoot Steele
into a Coma.
The CIA use this opportunity to download Steele's mind using the biochip and implant his memories
into a cyborg. However, due to brain damage sustained during the attack, Steele had to have
parts of his mind replaced by some guy named Johnson. In addition to Steele's new cybernetic brain, he received:
- Laser Eyes
- Nysteel Skull
- Nysteel Ribcage
- Robo hands, and later, robo hand darts and lasers
- Nysteel bones
- Robo legs
- A mini-fusion reactor to power it all
Things Steele got to keep:
- His human penis and testicles. He can still have children. If you remember nothing else, remember this.
- His heart and blood, so he can get erections and have awesome fights where he bleeds.
- Some internal organs and skin.
His life is a living nightmare and his family has either left or are dead. Examples of said tragedy:
- His mother contracted the third mutation of the virus trying to find a cure.
- His mother instictually hurried home and infected Steele's two brothers and his father.
- His father then killed her and his infected sons, before killing himself
- Steele's wife of twenty years left him while he was in a coma, taking his two kids.
- When his daugher, Cory, found out he was still alive she ran away to New York at the age of 15, her brother soon followed.
- Cory was forced into prostitution and murdered by Steele's former partner, Mick, who also had been turned into a cybord. Mick was psychotic, though, and took Cory hostage. Cory was later killed in a firefight with CHUDs.
- The location of Steele's son is unknown.
- Steele's first love interest, Dr. Carmody, was killed by Victor Borodini soon after they "fell in love."
- His best friend and ours, Ice, was killed by a random helicopter.
- His second love interest, Raven, was killed during a shootout with a pimp by a cop car.
- His therapist, Dr. Cooper, was killed by the double-crossing Senator Carman
- His boss, CIA director Higgins, was also killed in that double cross.
A veteran senior officer, Steele had beat the odds, and, along with a picked group of his fellow officers,
he had been chosen to rotate on training duty in the hope that he could passs on some of his hard-earned
skills and knowledge to those candidates who had already completed their classroom training and
passed the rigorous exams. But, unlike some of his superiors in the department, Steele did not
believe that numbers alone would provide an adequate solution to the problem...And he had his
own methods of separating those who could make the grade from those who would simply flesh
out the statistics.
J.D. Masters, Steele pg. 6